2006-11-29

Good Old Johhny Appleseed

We were invited to a friend's place for supper recently and we were joined by common friends who were visiting from out of town. We all hadn't seen each other in a couple of years and we all have growing families so we had lots to catch up on. We also spent some time remembering the nights of drunken revelry that we shared. There was also the occasional conversational pause as we watched our kids play and thought, "Wow, things have changed."

I guess that they changed more for some of us than others.

We sat for supper. Our host asked us to join hands and join in saying grace. Now let's just clarify this up front ... I am not a religous man. My spirituality is rooted in christian beliefs, and I begrudge no one their right to religous expression. I am just not used to that religous expression taking the form of the "Johhny Appleseed Grace" song at a table where I am sitting with my old drinking buddies and gulping large amounts of red wine. So I was a little uncomfortable. But I sat there and enjoyed the song. As an Irish Catholic, the closest that I ever came to singing grace at the supper table was the time I sang "Whiskey in the Jar" in the back of a Paddy Wagon while passing around a bottle of Captain Morgan rum. (Lucky for us the cops forgot to lock the doors.)

I guess the real surprise came when my 3-year-old started singing "Happy Birthday" as soon as "Johnny Appleseed" was finished. But in his godless world ... why else would you sit around the dinner table and sing unless it was someone's birthday?

5 Comments:

Blogger Redzilla said...

*snort.
As someone who is seriously godless, it is always a shock to encounter people I used to sin with and find that they've found Jesus. When I didn't even notice he was missing.

Thu Nov 30, 09:18:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Lenny said...

That a boy LIAM!!!! I can't imagine the look on Vonster's face.

Thu Nov 30, 12:13:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Robby Disco said...

Vonster thought that it was funnier than I did. I guess that I still suffer from that old Catholic guilt.

Fri Dec 01, 08:25:00 p.m. EST  
Blogger Lenny said...

I have an idea of what the look on her face was like. In my mind it's a replica of the look she gave me when we started to sing "You Needed Me" in Girl's Choir at our High School music night.

Have a great weekend...

Sat Dec 02, 09:26:00 a.m. EST  
Blogger Trish said...

I was raised Catholic and I'm of Irish descent, too, so I have to agree, not a lot of singing of grace in my experience, either. I never passed around the Captain Morgan in the back of a paddy wagon, either, but that sounds like a blast, unlike the singing of grace which, I'm not so interested in trying.

I love that Liam started singing Happy Birthday. That is so adorable.

Sat Dec 02, 04:12:00 p.m. EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home